Why sleep is important?
Sleep is very much important for every individual on earth for the proper metabolism or activities of the body. Less amount of sleep causes various disorders that affect health. Sleep time changes with age also as most of the females after the age of 30- 40, sleep less and some sleep the right amount of time. Every individual on the earth needs enough amount of sleep according to the condition of physical or mental health or the situations of daily life. Some individuals sleep according to their sleeping schedule after doing various works or things like socialism, reading novels, and books, chilling on Netflix, etc.
Important hours of sleep according to different age groups:
Getting enough amount of sleep is much important for the well- being and health. Good sleep has the much advantages and poor sleep leads to sleep disorders. According to different age groups, recommended hours of sleep per day have been defined or given by The National Survey of Children’s Health in 2018- 2019 which is recorded by the parent’s response given below:
- Newborn: In 0- 3 months, 14- 17 hours of sleep is needed which is given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and is referred by Hirshkowitz M, Whiton K, Albert SM, Alessi C, Bruni O, et al. The National Sleep Foundation’s sleep time duration recommendations: methodology and results summary. Sleep Health. 2015;1(1):40–43.
- Infants: In the 4- 12 months age group, 12- 14 hours of sleep is required which is given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and is referred by Paruthi S, Brooks LJ, D’Ambrosio C, Hall WA, Kotagal S, Lloyd RM, et al. The recommended amount of sleep for pediatric populations: a consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016;12(6):785–786.
- Toddlers: This includes 1- 2 years age groups and they need 11- 14 hours of sleep which is referred to by the same as Infants.
- Nursery school: 3- 5 years age group needs almost 12 hours of sleep, the reference goes the same as infants for the nursery school age group.
- School-age: For 6- 12 years age group needs 9- 11 hours of sleeping amount.
- Teenagers: for the 13- 19th age group individuals need 8- 10 hours of sleep.
- Adults or older: This age group needs almost 7 – 8 hours of sleep which is referred to by Watson NF, Badr MS, Belenky G, et al. The recommended amount of sleep for a healthy adult: a joint consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and Sleep Research Society. Sleep. 2015;38(6):843–844.
In recent times, teenagers and adults need almost 9 hours of sleep but they sleep more than this because of their sleeping schedule at night. Today, digital use has been increasing day by day which leads to a lack of sleep which stretches eye pain, anxiety, depression, etc. with itself. So we should sleep on time to get enough sleep and need enough energy for the proper metabolism or for a better lifestyle.
Sleep hormone and how it works?
Melatonin which is a sleep hormone is also called a dark hormone that makes you feel sleepy at night. If we use mobile phones at night, it usually leads to sleep deprivation by which melatonin is not produced at night in enough amounts. We should follow a sleep schedule on time for better sleep and for better health.