What is sleep hygiene? – Sleep hygiene is one of the best methods which is developed in the 1970s to control or overcome the problem of lack of sleep which causes insomnia and some other sleep problems like depression, anxiety, irritation, etc. Sleep hygiene name refers to describing the behavior and environmental perspective of living being that is how they sleep, the timing of the sleep, and the environment of sleep; i.e. sleep patterns.
Assessment of sleep hygiene:
Individuals who lack the proper sleep patterns in their 24 hours of the sleep-wake cycle or have improper circadian rhythm, usually suffer from sleep hygiene disorder. If you are suffering from a lack of sleep, you should see a doctor for the proper treatment. If it is possible, do not take sleeping pills without a prescription, try to avoid medication; use another method to treat lack of sleep. Doctors usually assess through the sleep hygiene method by noting down the sleeping patterns, eating habits, or by their lifestyle that is what they eat, when they eat, when they sleep, when they take naps, sleeping time, waking time, physical work, etc. of one to two weeks of the patient and then treat them according to their problems.
Environmental and behavioral practices for sleep hygiene or/ Tips for better sleep:
- Sleep hygiene disorder is curable, usually, doctors suggest some therapies such as CBT- I (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia) or other methods for the lack of sleep or sleeping problem treatment instead of having adequate treatment which includes medicines having chemicals.
- Medicines should be avoided for sleeping treatment because they usually work like drugs. When you started consumption of medicine for any disease your body’s metabolism usually starts working according to that medicine and becomes habitual. So when you stopped taking medicines, your body reacts in the opposite way which also shows some side effects like weight gain, obesity, inflammation, skin allergies, mind un-stabilization, etc. So doctors usually suggest natural ways to overcome sleep problems and CBT- is one of them which is used to treat insomnia. Firstly, doctors note down the pattern of sleep or lifestyle of the patient and then doctors give CBT- I treatment to the patient which includes cognitive or learning therapy, sleep restrictions, mind relaxation therapy, sleep hygiene, etc.
- Sleep according to your sleep-wake cycle/ biological clock, usually from 10 pm- 6 am means 8 hours of full sleep.
- Do physical exercises like yoga, gym, running, brisk walking, and meditation to lessen your worries, depression, and anxiety that help you to take proper sleep. Some physical exertion is necessary for the human being so that body feels some fatigue to make you feel sleepy at the right time.
- Create a restful environment or sleep hygiene which includes a dark room and a peaceful environment that helps in easy sleep. Find a comfortable place or comfortable position to fall asleep faster.
- Digital devices: Avoid using digital devices such as tabs, mobile phones, and laptops before bedtime because being on social media or on digital devices makes your sleep time worst and it can also worsen the releasing time or amount of sleep hormone, namely, Melatonin which is also known as the ‘dark hormone’ that makes you fall asleep.
- Long naps: Stop taking long sleep or naps during the day time or especially in the afternoon from 3 pm to 6 pm, it can affect the night sleep routine.
- Food and drinks: Various types of food or drinks can also affect the sleep pattern during the day or before having them before bed. Food including fatty, oily, spices or acidity can cause heat burn in your esophagus that can affect sleep timing or patterns. Drinks include caffeine, especially before bed, alcohol, and beer, and also avoid smoking that contains nicotine and other elements that affect sleep.
Why sleep hygiene and better sleep is important?
Sleep hygiene is much important method to treat lack of sleep. In recent eras, 10 percent of the world’s population is suffering from Insomnia due to their lifestyle. And this problem increases depression, anxiety, worries, fatigue, sleep disorders, deprivation, etc. Proper or better sleep makes your day worries free, you will feel positive all day, increases the power of the mind for taking quick and good decisions, etc.