What is a plant-based meal?
The food or edible things that we eat or get from plants are known as plant-based meals. Eating organic makes you look fit. Most of the food except processed and convenience food such as red meat, eggs, milk, fish, chicken, prawns, crabs, etc. Plant-based diets or meal plants do not contain animal-originated food.
Not only fruit part of the plant is eaten but we can eat almost every part of the plant. There are so many plant-based meals in which we use plant parts like roots, stems, leaves, flowers, and seeds.
Plant-based food list
Almost everything that we eat, we get from the plants. So, here are some food list items that are based on plants that are used in cooking and eating.
- Cooking oil such as mustard oil, rice bran oil, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, avocado oil, walnut oil, vegetable oil, sesame oil, etc.
- Vegetables: onion, tomato, basils, zucchini, broccoli, mint, coriander, cucumber, snake cucumber, cauliflower, cabbage, mushrooms, capsicum, asparagus, eggplant, pumpkin, corns, chilies, bitter gourd, ginger, garlic, bottle gourd, beetroot, fenugreek seeds and their leaves, curry leaves, spinach, sweet potato, etc.
- Whole grains: Rajma beans, black and white chickpeas, green beans, all types of pulses, etc.
- Fruits: such as orange, kiwi, watermelon, muskmelon, apple, mango, banana, papaya, coconut, peach, plum, grapes, raspberries, strawberries, pomegranate, custard apple, mulberry, figs, cranberries, sugarcane, dragon fruit, olives, jackfruit, dates, guava, pears, pineapple, etc.
- Rice, whole wheat, jawar, bajra, corn, brown rice, oats, etc.
- Spices: All the spices which are used to make food are plant-based. Cinnamon, red pepper, black pepper, yellow and black mustard seeds, cloves, cumin, coriander seeds, cardamom, fennel, star anise, lemongrass, wasabi, turmeric, etc. These are some common spices that are found all over the world but every region of India or country is famous for its special spices and food items that they grow in their own farms. They contain a lot of different spices in their farms which makes the food more delicious and makes them feel attached to the spirit of the earth.
- Dry fruits and nuts: walnut commonly called akhrot, cashew named kaju, almonds commonly called badam, raisins called kishmis, pistachio called as pista, apricot called khubani, hazelnuts as pahadi badam, dry figs named in Hindi as anjeer, fox nuts called as makhana, etc.
- Seeds: Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, etc.
Meaning of vegan:
A person that eats plant-based food items or food products and does not eat animal by-products such as meat products, chicken products, or dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
Difference between vegans and vegetarians:
There is a difference between vegetarians and vegans, vegetarians eat plant-based items or food products including animal-derived products like dairy items such as milk, paneer, cheese, yogurt, etc. They also do not eat animals such as fish, prawns, chicken, mutton, etc. On the other hand, vegans eat only plant-based food items, they do not eat animal or animal by-products such as milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, paneer, etc.
Plant-based meals and vegan recipes:
- Bowls: we can make grain-free bowls, green vegetable bowls, rice bowls with lots of vegetables, fruits bowl, etc. For example Boiled rice with white chickpeas and some salad in it; sauté some cauliflower, cabbage, tofu, onion, and some salt and put them in a bowl with some boiled rice and except rice also which will be considered under grain free bowl; fruit bowl like add banana, mango, berries, papaya, apple and add some honey in it, etc. are some bowl recipes which are calories free and helps in maintaining weight.
- We can make mixed vegetables, roti, whole wheat bread and buns, pasta, macaroni, momos, pizza, etc.
- We can also make some convenience food like potato chips, sweet potato chips, etc. but to make it healthy, instead of deep frying or adding too much salt to it. Do air fryer them and eat them healthily.
- Overnight oats: take a jar and add some oats, onion, salt, yogurt, and some vegetables you want to eat, rest it overnight and have it for breakfast. It is full of fibers and proteins.
Benefits of plant-based food:
Plant-based food or products are rich in nutrition. They contain all the essential elements like fat, protein, natural sugar, carbohydrates, starch, fibers, etc. in a balanced amount that is good for health. It attracts us towards organic and healthy food because everybody is now busy in their lives and forgetting to get onto their healthy schedules. They are ordering food online which is harmful to their health and brings obesity, fatigue, weight gain, etc. So eating plant-based food or vegan is the best and healthier option to get fit or to get in shape.